Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Xtreme VBS by Belita Fowler and photos by Abby Tran and Stephanie Brown

Well, I have worked quite a few VBS' in my time but none like today. Think about how we do it "US" style - Look at a catalog, pick out a VBS theme, round up the workers, print up the flyers and distribute them, advertise, work out the food, get the air conditioned building ready, plan the craft projects and execute the plan for a couple of hours for two or three days.

Here's how we do it in Honduras: Tuesday morning Mark says we're doing a VBS in the community where we are building two houses today and to put together a program. Rachael 1 and Rachael 2 (translators) get their group of workers together (about 30) and start planning the whole thing. We get to the community and divide into three groups, each with a translator. Each group starts out in a different direction (all very hilly and very steep and rocky). We stop at each house along the way and invite the children to meet us at the community soccer field. After about 30 minutes we turn toward the field which is about 1/2 mile along a little trail.

By the time we arrive, there are children everywhere!! Even without blackberrys, e-mail and cell phones, word really travels fast here. We gather the children at the edge of the field (a large rectangle of hard dirt with two goals at each end made of old pipe). There is not a shade tree in sight, it is 11:30 and the sun is beating down. The children are lead in two or three songs and then a prayer where they repeat each sentence the leader says. About 80 packages of galletas (cookies) are then given out. Now the real fun starts. BINGO is such a big hit here. The older kids help the younger ones play their cards. Their eyes are wide with excitement when they win and get to look in the prize bag and pick whatever they want. There are team members playing soccer with the kids, painting their faces and fingernails, jumping rope and blowing bubbles. This continues for three hours. Then we start the very long trek back up the hills to the buses.

We are hot, tired and very sweaty. Yet we are so blessed and we have been in the presence of God today. We have seen Him in their eyes, in their touch, in their smiles and in their words "Dios te bendiga" (God bless you).

Most kids love VBS and most of us adults do it out of duty. There are very few I've ever worked that I have felt more blessed than the little ones who attended. Today I did and I thank God for that and I know when I see a VBS poster, I will remember and smile.











3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rachael Fowler Family, Friends, Coworkers:

Things are going great here! We've had a few days of serious rainstorms (causing a loss of internet, and power at times), but it's all good! Now brace yourself...in case you didn't see the pictures....I built a house! I know it's hard to believe, because honestly, I'm still wondering where that came from :) We've done a few VBS programs, complete with BINGO......and that is not just a "game" here, it's serious business with these kids!

I took a group to visit the hospital today, so it was a pretty long and draining day. It's been a few years since I've gone there, and though I think it's a wonderful thing, once I walked in that first room, I remembered why I haven't visited there every year. It's a very tough thing to face....but that's reality here....and sometimes, reality hurts.

Please continue to keep our group in your thoughts and prayers as we wrap up these last few days of work. I know God still has great plans for our remaining time here.

Thanks for all of your love & support!
Rachael

(DJ from AL: thanks for the comment.....you absolutely made my day that day!!)

Anonymous said...

I am constantly reading the blogs and looking for familiar faces. This was a heartwarming article, Belita. I was one of your roommates last yr and I sure wish I could be there this yr. I am in thought and prayer and Melissa and Jason and others from church are. I pray that lots of good comes out of all you are doing. Thanks for the words and the pictures. Love and appreciate all you guys. Linda Wood, Louisville KY OCC

Anonymous said...

Great recap of the day, Buzz! How overwhelming is it to see God flow through all of you to bring his Word to alllllllll of those kids!

Rach,
Made a comment to Chris that I saw you building a house. And rest assured it is truly a "House of God" if it is still standing!! Just kidding and loved to watch you pour your heart into this project. Tell Chris I said "Hi" and that I love him and miss him!
Will continue to keep you in my prayers....these last few days would seem to be the hardest with lots of work left to do!
Take care,
Dana