Tuesday, June 09, 2009

The Dump from the mind and eye of Jason Burt








There really are no words that can describe what I saw today and how I felt. Today we visited the city dump. Why would we go there? The answer is rather unreal... we took food to the people that live there. At the local dump, there are over 200 men women and CHILDREN who make their lives there. They live in cardboard boxes and scrounge through the trash not only looking for things of value they can sell, but most shockingly, for the food they will eat that day. Seeing people in such desperation as to be digging through the trash along with with vultures and dogs will forever change me. Several people there had their faces covered with ski masks or shirts not only to block the smell of the trash, but most were probably concealing the glue they were sniffing in order to help curb their hunger. We met a young man who actually grew up in Texas. He was deported back to Honduras but upon arrival found that his father had died and all of his papers such as birth certificate and such are gone. He spoke perfect english and said to us that he was very embarrassed for us to see him like that. That he had been living in the dump for about 6 months. We asked him what he did the other night when we got 5 inches of rain. His answer, "i just pulled up a piece of plastic up over me and laid on the ground." We saw several cars there. People that live in the city will come out to the dump and pay the folks that live there a few lemps to scrounge through the garbage and find them recyclable things and bring to them. Tonight as I was eating dinner, I could hardly stand to do so without feeling guilty and when I took my plate to scrape off the scraps into the trash can I immediately thought of those people and realized that in a day or so, they will be digging through that trash and eating that leftover food and scraps from our meal to feed themselves and their family. Still searching to justify that one in my mind. We are truly blessed in our way of life and I'll never be the same after experiencing that culture. On a little brighter side, it was incredibly rewarding to see the smiles on the faces when we drove up. Meeting such a basic need even if only for a day was amazing. A few of the girls in our group broke out the fingernail polish and painted the little girls fingernails... you could just tell it was giving them back a sense of humanity. Even a couple of the guys there got their pinky fingernail painted too.




4 comments:

Margaret Pentecost said...

Hello to the Louisville group. We are praying for all of you, but we know this crew by name. Thank you for sharing your stories, pictures, and raw emotions on the blog. Keep feeding the hungry and helping to shelter those who have no homes. God will bless your work. We miss you all but know that you are helping all those you come in contact with. Let your lights shine. Love, Margaret Pentecost

Anonymous said...

I did not go to the dump last yr but have heard stories from Melissa. It is a very sad place and I am thankful for all of you who went to give those poor souls some hope. Was that the back of Susan that I saw? She was my very best buddy last yr and I do miss not being there this yr; I WILL return. Work hard and keep safe. Love you guys, Linda Wood

evansidols said...

Wow! The dump sounds like a place to minister and give people hope for a better tomorrow. As hard as it was I'm sure you were able to make a difference and an impact on the people that live there. I'm praying for a safe trip for everyone and that you are all changed as much as I was when I was able to be there last year. I hope to return next year. Geri

Anonymous said...

Jason, Great post and of course, incredible pics. Keep the pics coming. I already miss it. Belita