Friday, June 05, 2009

Day 2 by: Alberta Merritt Photos: Jason Burt

I went to Hospital Escuela today. For me "hospital day" is the hardest emotionally but it is also fun in some ways. One way is seeing the kids from infants to teens in pain and knowing that there is nothing you can do tot ease their pain, but you can always make them smile. Even if you can't speak spanish you can still make goofy faces, painting the girls nails, throwing a ball, or even just saying a prayer makes them feel better. The hospital is my favorite place because I get to paint my face like a clown which brings so much joy to the kids and even some adults. It also my least favorite because it makes me feel helpless, but with God's help I survive. Alberta

(today a group of Torchers went to the government hospital for he poor. This is the place you go when you have no money, no insurance and that would be about 85% of the country. People travel from all over the country to come here because for many it is the only option for them. It is a hospital that serves many with next to no resources. It is a place that people go, but unless they can "find" the money to get medicine, treatment then they just don't get 'fixed". For many they spent the couple of dollars they had, to the expense of not eating, to get their child to the hospital. There is no money for medicine, operation or what ever the need. It is a place that needs HOPE. It is a place where people know they are not forgotten. Often all we can do is pray with families, but it is those prayers that mommies and daddies appreciate deeply because they know it is in God they trust and to know others will intercede on their behalf brings the hope they are looking for.)













3 comments:

Linda Wood said...

Hey Okolona, So glad to read about your day; way to go Alberta! If the hospital does not get to you, nothing else will. I feel really sad that I am not there with you guys. I do pray that more people get involved and go; what a wonderful way to do Gods work. Miss you guys.
Linda Wood

Anonymous said...

Wow what an impressive day! Buzz or Rach did either of you happen to go to the hospital? Hoping everyone is staying well and praying for God to provide you with the strength (emotionally and physically) to continue to do his great works in Honduras! Take care and tell Chris I said hello!
Love Danalu

ChristinaM1981 said...

What you guys are doing is just awesome and I am extremely touched.